Local referencing or local SEO has grown considerably since its creation in 2006, and is now the most powerful lever for improving the visibility of local businesses in their catchment area.
Here is a compilation of 20 statistics that should convince you of the need for an in-depth local SEO strategy for your company.
46% of all searches on Google are for local information. (Source: GoGulf)
97% of people learn more about a local business online than anywhere else. (Source: OSE Tribunal)
92% of Internet users will choose companies on the first page of local search results. (Source: SEO Expert)
46% of Google searches are for local businesses. (Source SEO Expert Brad)
4 in 5 consumers use search engines to find local information. (Source: Think with Google)
Impact of local SEO on consumers
88% of consumers who perform local search on their smartphone go to a store or call it during the day. (Source: Nectafy)
72% of consumers who conducted a local search visited a store within an 8 km radius. (Source: HubSpot Marketing Statistics)
Local searches result in purchases in 28% of cases. (Source: Joel House Search Media)
76% of Internet users having carried out a local search visit the premises of the company found during the day.
Local SEO and mobile devices
By 2021, mobile devices will influence more than $1.4 trillion in local sales. (Source: Forrester)
18% of local smartphone searches resulted in a purchase within the day, while only 7% of non-local searches resulted in a sale. (Source: Think with Google)
78% of location-based mobile searches result in an offline purchase. (Source: OSE Court)
The importance of online opinions and comments
88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as they do personal recommendations.
83% trust online reviews more than traditional advertising.
73% trust positive reviews posted by other consumers, 6% have no interest in them.
72% of consumers do not make any decisions without reading comments from other customers.
The Central Role of Google my Business in Local SEO
75% of searches for local businesses are done on Google Search, with the remaining 25% on Google Maps. (Source: BrightLocal)
34% of local businesses are seen in more than 1,000 searches discovered per month through their Google My Business Page. (Source: BrightLocal)
On average, 56% of the actions on Google my Business listings are website visits. (Source: BrightLocal)
16% of companies receive more than 100 calls per month via Google My Business. (Source: BrightLocal)